A Writing Process
A nine step writing process
1. The modeling of writing expectations
- Teach students the purpose of different Modes/Domains
- Review writing samples
- Build and review rubric based on categories and qualities pertinent to the task
- Evaluate sample writing based on rubric
2. Evaluate sample writing based on rubric
3. Prewriting or Generating Thoughts and Ideas
- Graphic organizers/Thinking maps
- Translating thoughts and ideas into a cohesive organized composition of sentences and paragraphs.
- Content and Organization
- Content-Does the writing adequately address the prompt?
- Organization-Does the writing flow in a logical manner?
- Use rubric with Read-Around Groups to review all student writing
- Re-see and/or Rethink: modify word, sentence or paragraph placement for affect.
- Grammar & mechanics (punctuation, capitalization and spelling)
8. Final Draft
- Use rubric to evaluate final draft
- Students email copies to classmates
- Post on class bulletin board or blog
- Technical manuals
- Community bulletin board
- Bind into a personal or classbook