University of California’s universitywide Analytical Writing Placement Examination (AWPE)
HIGH SCHOOL PRINCIPALS
March 15, 2017
This letter provides information about the 2017 administration of the University of California’s universitywide Analytical
Writing Placement Examination (AWPE). This year, UC will administer the AWPE on Saturday, May 13 to students who
have been admitted to a UC campus for fall 2017 and have not satisfied the Entry Level Writing Requirement by other
means. Students selected to take the exam will receive a letter in early April regarding the exam requirements and their
AWPE testing location.
Students are not required to take the AWPE if UC has received any of the following test scores that satisfy the Entry Level
- 30 or better on the ACT, English Language Arts or Combined English/Writing section; or
- 680 or better on the College Board SAT Reasoning Test, Writing section (last administered January 2016); or
- 3 or above on either Advanced Placement Examination in English; or
- 5 or above on an International Baccalaureate (I B) Higher Level English A: Literature exam; or
- 6 or above on an IB Standard Level English A: Literature exam; or
- 5 or above on an IB Higher Level English A: Language and Literature exam; or
- 6 or above on an IB Standard Level English A: Language and Literature exam.
Students also are exempt from the exam if they have successfully completed a UC-transferable English composition
course offered by a college or university.
Comprehensive information about the Entry Level Writing Requirement and the AWPE is available online at
www.ucop.edu/elwr. The website includes information on the examination process, previous exams, and Student Test
Data reports that indicate the number and percentage of students who satisfied the Entry Level Writing Requirement prior
to enrollment. Data can be viewed by school or county and are intended to provide useful feedback as educators work
with students to improve academic performance.
Please share these updates with school site counselors and English teachers. If you have questions, please feel
free to contact Julie Lind, AWPE Coordinator, at (510) 987-9422 or at Julie.Lind@ucop.edu.
Original document can be found SKM_C454e17032706260